Tuesday, October 15, 2013

What May Come from the Beautiful Blue

After reading an article that has been posted recently in ScienceDaily, "World Ocean Systems Undermined by Climate Change 2100", it has made me wonder how my children will see the ocean and the rest of our world one day.  This article addresses many issues that us as humans have done that will impact our oceans in negative ways.  These researchers predict that productivity and biodiversity will see negative effects, the oceans will be begin to warm and have less dissolved oxygen.  The authors/scientists in this article really drive home the point by explaining that anywhere from 470-880 million people are dependent on what the ocean produces and contributes to society.  Even after reading an article such as this, it is hard for myself to come to terms with what will happen to our oceans if what is mentioned in the article does happen as said.  I like to think of myself as an environmentally friendly person and definitely a person who loves to be on, near, or around water, I'm just hoping that one day people will be fortunate enough to enjoy it as much as I have.




Vibrant coral reef. No corner of the world ocean will be untouched by climate change by 2100, according to a new study. (Credit: © vlad61_61 / Fotolia)

No comments:

Post a Comment